The Food Factor: Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal Muffins
Video by Jonathan Parrish
Whether you love or hate the pumpkin spice craze that takes over every fall, you can’t deny that pumpkin is a healthy food! High in fiber, low in calories, and packed with vitamin A, pumpkin is a terrific addition to your diet.
When shopping for pumpkin puree, be sure you don’t buy pumpkin pie filling. For even healthier muffins, substitute whole-wheat flour for half of the all-purpose flour. You can make these in a mini-muffin pan or in a standard-size muffin pan.
Next time I make these, I’ll probably add more pumpkin pie spice for a bolder flavor.
Happy fall, y’all!
Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal Muffins
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¼ cup quick oats
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon melted margarine or butter
- ⅛ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray or use muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, quick oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Break egg into a small bowl. Wash hands with soap and water after cracking raw egg. Add pumpkin, milk, and oil to egg. Mix well.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Mix topping ingredients. Sprinkle topping evenly over muffins. Bake mini muffins at 400°F for 8–12 minutes or until evenly browned. Bake regular-sized muffins for 15–18 minutes.
Thanks to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension for this recipe!
For behind-the-scenes photos, crew reviews, and terrific kitchen tips, be sure to follow The Food Factor on Facebook,Twitter, and Instagram!
And if you like our recipes and videos, we’d love for you to share them with your friends! It really helps!
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.