The Food Factor: Pumpkin Spice Latte
Video by Jonathan Parrish
Pumpkins are the star of fall. They are everywhere -- in the stores, on front porches, and in your holiday pie.
And so is pumpkin spice. If you love lattes and this quintessential fall flavor that has become all the rage, this recipe is for you!
Pumpkin puree gives this drink a nutritious boost. Pumpkin is high in fiber, low in calories, and packed with vitamin A. It’s a terrific addition to your diet.
Don’t forget about the seeds. They are a good source of magnesium, which is important for bone health. They also boost heart health with omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
Now grab your favorite mug and get ready for a healthier version of your favorite coffee drink!!!
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg), plus more for sprinkling
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- Combine the milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla in a medium microwavable safe bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and vent with a small hole.
- Microwave until the milk is hot, about 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk vigorously until the milk mixture is foamy, about 30 seconds.
- Pour the coffee in a large mug and add the foamed milk.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
Thanks to the University of Georgia Extension for this recipe!
For more tasty recipes and terrific kitchen tips, be sure to follow The Food Factor on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!
And if you like our recipes and videos, we’d love for you to share them with your friends! It really helps!
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.