Be Safe When Walking/Jogging
View as PDF: IS1776.pdf
To stay safe while walking or jogging, be aware of your surroundings and don’t take chances. Always use common sense. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Avoid walking or jogging alone.
- Walk at a steady pace, and walk with confidence.
- Let someone know where you are going and what time you will return.
- Change your route from day to day.
- Avoid remote and isolated areas. Use well-lighted and populated streets.
- Do not wear expensive jewelry or carry money.
- When exercising in the dark, always wear bright or light-colored clothing and reflective devices.
- Do not respond to taunts from others.
- Carry some form of identification. This could save your life in case of an unfortunate accident.
- Carry change for a public phone or carry a cell phone.
- If approached, look for lighted windows and wave toward them and shout as if someone in the window is watching you.
- If you think you are being followed, cross the street abruptly to determine if in fact you are.
Tips to Prevent Injuries and Stay Safe
- Always have an emergency plan that includes access to a phone and first aid kit.
- Should an acute injury occur, use RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation).
- Wear a mouth guard during contact sports.
- Drink 7 to 10 ounces of water or a sport drink every 10 to 20 minutes during exercise.
- Maintain good eating habits and proper nutrition to enhance your performance.
- Avoid the dangers of lightning. “If you hear it, clear it; if you see it, flee it.”
- Use appropriate and well-fitting equipment (including shoes) when playing sports.
- Before starting an exercise program, see your physician for a physical exam.
- For a healthier body and lifestyle, avoid tobacco, alcohol, and other harmful drugs.
The Mississippi State University Extension Service is working to ensure all web content is accessible to all users. If you need assistance accessing any of our content, please email the webteam or call 662-325-2262.
Select Your County Office
May 22, 2023
April 25, 2023
April 3, 2023
March 10, 2023
December 19, 2022
Publication Number: P3892
Publication Number: P3891
Publication Number: P3890
Publication Number: IS1707
Publication Number: IS1764