3 Wellness Tips for Holiday Travel
Don’t put your health and fitness goals on the backburner this holiday season just because you’re traveling. There are plenty of ways to practice wellness and keep your family and yourself on track. Here are a few tips that work for me:
- Keep snack combos handy. Look for snacks with fiber, protein, and healthy fats. Why? This will keep your blood sugar stable and prevent cravings.
- Avoid sitting for extended periods if possible. Try to walk and stretch every two hours. This will benefit your health in more ways than one.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks and be mindful of alcohol intake. Dehydration is thought to only happen in the summer, but dehydration can occur at any time of the year.
Before you go:
- Clean produce. Rinse all fresh produce under running water before packing it in a cooler.
- Keep cold food cold.
- Keep hot food hot.
- Don’t forget hand sanitizer.
- Pack healthy, nonperishable snacks and snack combos. Here is a good starting point:
- Popped popcorn (homemade or light butter)
- Fruit/berries and hard-boiled eggs
- Fruit (apples/bananas) and nut butter (try the squeeze packs)
- Turkey and cheese
- Fruit squeezes
- Cheese and whole grain crackers
- Turkey sticks and apples
- Hummus (individual packs)
- Protein drinks
- Pre-cut veggies, like celery, carrots, and bell pepper
- Dried fruit and nuts or seeds
- Trail mix
- Snack bars. Find ones low in added sugar.
- Fruit cups or applesauce
- Greek yogurt
- Protein bars. Look for ones that contain real food, like almonds, egg whites, fruit, etc.
Bottom line: Holiday travel may get you a little out of your routine, so focus on moving more, sitting less, enjoying yourself, and having a joyous holiday season.
For more helpful tips like these and healthy recipe options, visit extension.msstate.edu and join our MSU Nutrition and Wellness FB group.
Posted on: December 13, 2022
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.
May 26, 2023
May 24, 2023
May 19, 2023
May 3, 2023
March 10, 2023
February 22, 2023
May 10, 2022
March 25, 2022
Publication Number: P1431
Publication Number: P3049
Publication Number: P0663
Publication Number: P1430
Publication Number: P1542