5 Tips for Healthy Eating on a Budget
Video by Jonathan Parrish
With food prices on the rise, my grocery bill has increased significantly. Healthy eating is a priority for me, but I want to make sure I stay within budget at the store. Here are some of my favorite budget-friendly tips.
- Buy in-season and frozen produce. Local produce that’s in season is generally less expensive. Frozen options give you the advantage of only taking out what you plan to use, which can save money in the longrun.
- Shop your kitchen before you head to the grocery store. If you are like me, you may find foods hidden in there that you don’t need to purchase until a later trip. By taking a quick inventory of what you already have, you can avoid buying things you don’t need. Once you’ve figured out what you have on hand, make a list and plan to stay on track.
- Don’t shop when you are hungry. If you shop when you are hungry, you may be more likely to buy things with your eyes and belly -- not the items you actually need.
- Buy in bulk. Especially staple items such as rice, dried or canned beans, canned tomatoes, pasta, and other items that have a long shelf life. These food staples are typically inexpensive and can make a variety of meals.
- Cook more at home. You spend less on food when preparing meals in your kitchen, and you get to control the ingredients for flavor and nutrition.
Don’t break the bank trying to eat healthier. Use these tips to help you eat nutritiously on a budget and check our budget-friendly recipes.
For more helpful tips like these and healthy recipe options, visit extension.msstate.edu and join our MSU Nutrition and Wellness FB group.
Posted on: January 17, 2023
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.
June 6, 2023
June 6, 2023
May 30, 2023
October 17, 2018
July 16, 2018
June 29, 2018
November 10, 2017
August 9, 2017
Publication Number: P1576
Publication Number: M1422
Publication Number: P2594
Publication Number: M1417
Publication Number: P1540